What’s Not to Love About Coconut Oil?Mar 24, 2021
You may have noticed how often coconut oil appears in our recipes.That’s because of my deep. Abiding. Love. For. It.
Why coconut oil?
Coconut oil is a saturated fat that has, unfortunately, been falsely accused.
For years we’ve been told saturated fat, along with cholesterol, cause a host of health problems; the top three being coronary heart disease, cancer, and weight gain. This theory spread so quickly that people started condemning saturated fats without much thought, and we have become a society of low-fat diets and egg white powder devotees.
But, as your mother probably told you – don’t believe everything you hear.
It’s true that some fats are bad for us – those are the trans fats, the polyunsaturated and hydrogenated fats. But saturated fats (fats from tropical oils like coconut oil, olive oil, and animal fats) are actually the healthiest fats you can and should eat. Coconut oil is a whooping, beautiful 92% saturated!
Coconut oil & our health
Saturated fats are absolutely essential for brain development and growth in newborns and children. They contain lauric acid, the same fatty acid found in breast milk, which has potent antimicrobial, antiviral, and antifungal properties.
- Provide calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, iodine, and many trace minerals
- Enhance the immune system
- Protect against viruses, yeasts, parasites, and other pathogens in the gut
- Nourish the brain, heart, nerves, hormones, and cells
- Improve digestion
- Improve nutrient absorption
- Kill the viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses
- Kill bacteria that causes ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, gonorrhea, and other diseases
Coconut oil & weight loss
Contrary to popular belief, saturated fats do not make you fat. They are directly absorbed into your body for quick energy. They boost metabolism and stimulate weight loss.
Coconut oil for your skin
Your skin is an organ. It absorbs everything you put on it. Coconut oil will:
- Lubricate and soften the skin
- Speed heal when massaged into red, cracked, dry, or infected skin
- Control dandruff by massaging into your scalp
- Improve your complexion
- Act as an exfoliate and remove dead skin
- Keep skin strong and elastic – it helps heal stretch marks (woohoo!)
There’s so much more information out there about coconut oil. We’ve just nicked the tip of the iceberg! Trust me, the more you read, the more you’ll see that coconut oil is one of a kind. In fact, you’ll probably start using it in recipes like Candida Diet Ice Cream and Chocolate Coconut Cubes and grow to love it so much you’ll buy it in 5 gallon pails like we do!
Our favorite brand of coconut oil is Wildly Organic's expeller pressed coconut oil. We've used it since about 2010 and have never been disappointed. The expeller pressed doesn't have the coconut taste, so it's easy to use in any kind of recipe whether we're frying, baking, or freezing.
P.S. Are you a coconut oil lover like me? How do you use your oil?
Subscribe today and receive health-related recipes, information, and special offers.
You’ll also receive our ebook Candida-Fighting Herbs & Essential Oils – FREE.
Subscribe…download…and create a candida arsenal in your kitchen.
By submitting this form, you consent to receive occasional emails and offers. You can unsubscribe at any time.